If you’d like to get in better shape for better health, you can start with your plate. Fruits and vegetables, lean protein, and whole grains make for a great beginning. Whether you want to lose weight or just eat better, you can make your health goals happen. Here are some simple steps to help you get started:
- Incorporate lean protein foods such as beans and seafood into your menus. Additional health benefits from these foods include: Black beans, kidney beans and pinto beans are a very good source of fiber and folate, while green beans are an excellent source of vitamins A, C, and K. Fish and shellfish provide high amounts of omega-3 fats and vitamin B12.
- Choose a smaller plate when preparing your meals. Eat slow, and enjoy your food—soon you’ll be on your way to reaching your goal weight.
- Add low fat dairy to your menu for calcium and vitamin D—for stronger bones.
- Choose whole grains for fiber and important minerals and vitamins.
- Color your plate with fruits and vegetables. They’re low in calories, rich in minerals and vitamins, and full of fiber. Five easy ways to better health—give them a try!